top of page
Student Accommodations Services

Types of Accommodations

  • Assistive technology like scanning, reading, and voice dictation software to assist with accessibility.

  • Readers and scribes for students with visual impairments.

  • Note takers are usually recruited from the student's classes. Funds may be available to compensate note takers for students with hearing/visual impairments. Note taking paper (NCR) is provided by SCTC and is available from Student Accommodation Services.

  • Digital textbooks or books on tape for students with visual impairments. Additional taping, such as course syllabi and handouts, should be arranged through Student Services a minimum of two weeks in advance.

  • Testing accommodations such as extended time or a quiet environment for testing, are scheduled through the Dean of Student’s office a minimum of one week in advance. Other requests may include readers and/or scribes, access to a computer and/or calculator, etc.

  • Tutoring through SCTC’s Student Resource Center is available. Emphasis is placed on developing strategies for learning based on the student's strengths and abilities.

  • Additional services as deemed necessary and appropriate.

Eligible Impairments

  • Attention Deficit or Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/HD)

  • Learning Disabilities (Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, etc.)

  • Mobility and Injury-Related Disabilities

  • Psychiatric Disabilities (Major Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, etc.)

  • Sensory Impairments (Audio, Visual, etc.)

What Documentation is required?
No services or accommodations can be provided for a student who doesn't provide the necessary documentation. Students need to submit documentation from a doctor, high school counselor, or community service provider (such as Community Mental Health, Michigan Rehabilitation Services, Michigan Commission for the Blind, etc.). Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) or 504 plans may be used but other documentation is preferred. Any and all information received regarding disabilities and/or impairments is strictly confidential.

In college, a student with a disability/impairment:

  • must self-identify

  • must be able to do college-level coursework (assignments are not modified, only accommodations are provided)

  • must discuss appropriate accommodations with Student Services

  • must be able to explain and clarify their needs to instructors

  • are expected to read the course syllabus and know when assignments due

  • must apply with Student Accommodation Services for assistance and provide written documentation of their disability/impairment

  • must cover the cost of disability/impairment evaluation if necessary

Contact Student Services:

Amanda Flaugher
Dean of Students 
(989) 317-4760 ext 232
Office Hours
Monday–Friday 9am-4:30 pm

bottom of page